Thursday 15 February 2007

oops!

After all that hinting at himself's Valentine prezzie (and another reason I got behind with cheesylove) here they are in the flesh (so to speak).

They're driving mitts, so longer than usual fingerless mitts (so he can wrap his 'ickle handies 'round the cold steering wheel and not feel it) and he actually had them on Saturday (hot off the needles!) 'cos the weather was so cold and he refused to wear gloves taking the poochies 'round the park. So now, no excuses! They're in a stretchy rib, just like my new jumper so I guess we're kind of twinnies!

After reconsidering the yarn embargo, I've decided to use a little common sense (!) in the short term. So I'll try to only replace what I knit and visit my LYS only once a week to keep the budget a little less stretched. Still got to define replace, of course, it could be by weight, (in which case the recent Kidsilk haze binge will have made nary a dint), or by original cost ( but then how would you categorise Abakhan bargains?)

I will, however put an embargo on buying AFTER Woolfest, and perhaps If I'm feeling brave, I might even try a 6-12 month knit from your stash THEN ( better late than never!) Floppy's not too sure how well this'll work!

In addition, I really need to give away, spin or chuck at least 3 fleeces from my back room BEFORE Woolfest so that I have any space at all to put new stuff.

So, with that in mind,

1)I pledge to devote at least one day a week to pure spinning, no interruptions, leave sexy sock wool to travelling and spare moments and another half-day to finishing all my UFO sewing up sweaters (which I hate!)

2)I will list items on EBAy every month until Woolfest (and actually bank most of the proceeds rather than instantly recycling them!)

3) I will choose simple, quick knitting projects in big wools in order to reduce the VOLUME of my stash

4) I have three freebie cards if I suddenly decide to go off into flights of fancy (a la moebius, socks, lace, fair isle etc.) providing they're finishable in a day or so or only take up a couple of hours each day

phew, what a list! At least I know I've got my fellow bloggers to keep me on the straight and narrow. Guess I'd better get sewing up this afternoon!

2 comments:

Artis-Anne said...

LOL Chris , what are you like ? you should go into politics with ALL you clauses . I thought I was bad enough but then YOU do have bigger stash then I have I think :)Gawd what have we done and you mentioning Kid Silk Haze is enough to drive me to your LYS to get some . Great mitts and good for you getting 'Cheesy Love' finished by Valentine's day

Kath said...

Do you know, the more I think about how much yarn I have lurking in the house the more I'm thinking about a complete yarn buying ban. Of course that may not hapen in reality!! Love the mitts and Cheesylove - you've been really busy and getting the hang of blogger I see!