Saturday 17 February 2007

New pledge day????

Okay, so I don't normally post this frequently, but I had to share my latest pics, literally taken moments ago. SO far in my pledge, I've spent an unpleasant 3 hours stitching up a Patons Cargo jacket/coat. (now I remember why I hate knitting it- the sewing up afterwards!), restarted the seductive sock and in my speed knitting quest, have got so far with this...
It's a fabulous colourway " saffron" in Wendy Fusion. Now, I know it's the same price as Twilley's freedom Spirit and that's pure wool, but for colour, Wendy Fusion beats it hands down despite being 50% wool, 50% acrylic.

It borders on chunky so fits in with the quick knit category ( I mean, 2 fronts in 2 pieces each plus a back finished today and onto the first sleeve ( far left of pic) in...ermmm...3 days?) Maybe less. Plus the colours arr a joy to knit up. Less of a joy was having to detach the right hand side cable and bobble pattern from the rest of that side'cos HALFWAY DOWN, ONE ERRANT CABLE POINTED THE WRONG WAY!

I've tweaked the original pattern 'cos it bugged me that both cables went in the same direction and there's a little decrease shaping on the back panel to break upthe solid colour changes ( not it's best look). I am SO in love with this yarn at the mo, can't you tell?

It's still got a big wide rib border to go all the way rouns the front but you'll be the first to see when it's finished!

Anyway, seductive sock a la gorgeous alpaca, pig of a pattern is growing again. The more observant amongst you will notice the travelling lines don't twist around quite so fiercely than the original model, it's amazing what an extra stitch here and there will do. I started on 2.5mm needles but felt it a bit loose (there's an extra 7 stitches on the existing pattern) so after a few inches, I've swapped to 2.25mm hence it's a bit wider at the top. I can always say I planned it this way so it's comfy around my calf!
Anyway, so far, 3 minor froggings ( I'm resigned to it now!), and we'll be at the heel in the next inch or so then I have to decide whether I keep the pattern on the top (have to work that out) or just have plain stocking stitch all the way to the foot (boring).

By the way, nice sock Anne, was that with the original Regia pattern? Sorry for the interesting backing to the pic, but the quilt cover's red and I was thinking of everyone's eyes (clash city!).

Anyway, ages back, I said I'd be reviewing my fave books so I shall start as I mean to go on with my most recent acquisition- Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel . Actually purchased from Book Depository as they try to be cheaper than Amazon and there's always free postage so no need to get to that nasty £15 limit if you only want a single book, handy to know!

Anyway, I digress. Domiknitrix rated it highly in her blog, she'd been to a show and seen a number of the designs in the book there and was impressed so I bought it on the strength of her recommendation. (By the way, her book's fab too, a real breath of fresh air and something for 20's-30's (age) knitters to get their teeth into). So, anyway, it arrived this morning and, well, it's a mixed bag. Don't get me wrong, I think the ideas are great, particularly for us less-than-svelte types who knit up garments photographed on stick thin models then wonder why it makes them look like a sack of potatoes. I'm definitely coming round to the way of shaping but these things often make assumptions about shape and this book in particular likes to emphasise the waist with a band of reverse stocking stitch either side, fine if you're perfect shape but some of us want to disguise our excesses!

It does have some interesting ideas, and if you're not afraid to do a bit of pattern modifying (minor), as I no doubt will, you should have some great fitted garments. A+ however for her use of Superchunky yarn, the bane of non-model types; she ses it in a fitted, cropped cardi type thing, open at the front, lovely bell sleeves with shaping detail that (I think) most people could get away with simply because it DOESN'T encompass you and make you look bigger than ever. There's also a lovely sweater with a mass of rib to fit round the waist and flare around the bust, plenty of sleeveless top/vest thingies and masses of ideas as well as some MATHS in the front as to how you calculate your own sweater ( I passed that by!). So, all in all, for me, a keeper, one to tinker with but definitely to knit a pattern or three.

On the subject of Domiknitrix ( book of the same name), I ADORE her designs, BUT my bust size makes me a small whilst my waist and hip make me a large on her sizing scales so again, I'm going to have to make adjustments (I'm a classic pear), but I do see Little Red Riding Hoodie in my near future!

2 comments:

Artis-Anne said...

Who's been a busy girl:) Lovely pattern I really must find something with cables; I love doing cables But as you say if one goes wrong its sticks out like a sore thumb !!
Sorry not been in touch ; running around like a headless whot not. Kath & co here at the mo , going back today so will ring u ASAP:)

Kath said...

Glad to see the sock is finally being defeated! I did like the Fitted knits book - there is a nice selection of patterns but I love her Simple knitted bodice which is definately on the 'to do' list!