Monday 19 March 2007

Sunday's Drama (and some yarn to drool over!)

Well, Sunday morning, I'm tidying up the living room (for that, read clearing enough space for 3 people to sit down for a change!), a number of cars start reversing and darting down different roads opposite. I thought maybe a big lorry was trying to get thru or something, but when a big Police van blocked one of the roads opposite, I wondered what was going on. When a fire engine crawled past, my attention was piqued; when a Fire Incident Vehicle trolled past, I was definitely expecting a fire or something but couldn't see anything from my window. I had to drag myself away (to finish clearing), and kind of forgot about it, it was only when my brother showed up and remarked that the road he'd usually take was blocked off, I decided to investigate further.

I didn't have my camera at the time, so the hole was less pronounced than below, but you can kind of work out what happened...



... To explain, that wall's been bulging for months, there were some bricks at a 45% angle from the wall when I walked past it on Friday, so you can fill in the blanks from there, the wall collapsed all over the road (hence the reversing cars), the police then Fire Brigade were called in to investigate, then by late afternoon, a scaffolding company had been called in and you can see them taking away the loose bricks and later putting planks in place to hold the rest of the wall together. Being somewhat important, it takes up half the road so that end is now closed for business for the forseeable until it gets repaired, hopefully sooner rather than later!

I guess that's what happens when you don't check your gutters and point your house!

Anyway, onto more yarnly pursuits. After bombarding you with pics the other day, I felt i could sneak a few more in this one! I've been to Ryder House today, bought 4-ply cotton in a vibrant purple for a fab project from Beads, Buttons and Lace, Rowan 34? with Linen drape patterns in it and of course, a quantity of Linen Drape in turquoise, Purple and Claret (although other shades are calling to me!) From a previous haul we have...



...2 balls each Rowan 4 ply soft ( it is too!) in turquoise and pink for that recent sock pattern on Knitty . It's not as bright as the camera would suggest, but you get the idea.

Also, the yarn for those Space Invader Socks- they will be for my brother as they'll be too big for me but, surprisingly, he's keen! (although he wears through socks in a matter of days so they're not likely to last long!)



Also that cable and lace eyelet pattern I was talking about. I found (and wound) a 500g hank of pure wool DK this morning in blues and greens, unfortunately knackering my back in the process (again!) and thought it might work really well for this one so watch this space!

This is the evil fluff of Death, otherwise known as the softest Shetland you've ever known plus a tad of Tussah silk. It's springy so you can't have the lightest tension on the wheel ( or it won't wind up), but too much and it breaks by the minute! It's yet to tell me what it wants to be, but there's not much of it which is why I wanted it fine. Never mind, maybe it'll be a Spin Thursday and I'll find out then.

So, quite an eventful weekend, all things considered, Did the Mother's Day thing which was a joint outing as it coincided with my dad's Birthday, sorted the innards of a new computer for him so he's chuffed to bits with the results and ma's got plenty of flowers and a basket from my Bro so she's happy too.

I'm waiting in eager anticipation for the next sale selection at my LYS and in the meanwhile, I've had an e-mail from my Secret Pal! Still to find out who my match is, it's all a bit behind at the mo. which is a shame as i've knitting needles at the ready for my pal! maybe tomorrow?










6 comments:

Kath said...

Must be chaos down your way then!
Which other sock had you planned other than bmp?

Artis-Anne said...

Are you sure you are not going to open a yarn shop :) ?
Hope your back is better

Chris said...

It's definitely intersting, particularly as the scaffolding now has a yellow coat!
There has been plenty of lively debate re: pledge breaking etc. however, you need an average 14 balls of Linen Drape for a sweater so it's only 4 projects? ( say that quickly so it sounds like less)! Anyway, I won't be able to buy at all once it's gone which could be as soon as May

Chris said...

And the back's slowly improving, but it's still early days, thanks

Anonymous said...

I live for the sales at my local shops too! Luckily, I have approximately 5 decent shops within 30 minutes of my place so I have several to choose from!

Your Secret Pal (10)

Chris said...

Funnily enough, I'll be glad ( temporarily) when it goes as it's too much temptation at the moment an it's a bus ride to others which are either more expensive or cheaper quality yarns so maybe i can keep my stash in check? Doubtful!