Friday 9 March 2007

The Long Skein Tale part two

Not wanting to end my adventures halfway thru, I had to tell you of the final chapters.

So, yesterday it was drying, being such a skinny skein, it dried quickly and by the morning, you could just about see subtle changes where I'd done dots and dashes, it'll more be a shadow but should add interest.

This afternoon, it had to be re-stretched in order to wind off on a wool winder before being re-skeined to an appropriate length. Remember having one door that opens into the area? Well, it was even more crucial today as the skein had shrunk so a heavy thing to keep the door from opening too far was also a necessity.

You can just about see the wool winder on the floor. As usual, roughly an hour of pacing up and down the hall ensued ( perhaps a little less frantically than yesterday!) What really surprised me was how different it looked wound on the ball winder and later on the bobbin when I decided it needed a little extra twist

And finally.....

...The rewound, respun skein in all its glory! I'm pretty chuffed with this one- as usual a little less vibrant in the flesh but extremely pretty!

I'm definitely going to use it for socks, hence the extra twist for wearability, but I'm toying with those Space Invader Socks on Knitty - Imagine the sprites in multicolours, or am I going on an acid trip?

And finally, I managed to get a quick pic with my Mum in her cardi, not artfully displayed or anything as we were rushing to get out for her bus home, but at least I got one!



2 comments:

Artis-Anne said...

My you have been busy too:) you beat me to it re your space dyeing I need to ply my two bobbins but haven't had a chance, gawd knows were I will hang my long skein but at the moment all I can think of is SOCKS !!!. I am shattered as it's been ALL go this week and Kath is coming over on Monday . Again I haven't really had a chnce to suss out Knitty that much but will look up SIS next time I go there. Look forward to seeeing your yarn knitted up.

Chris said...

Its title is BMP when you do get a spare second!