Sunday 30 November 2008

A Whole heap of knitting and decisions pending....

Well, this week has been a fun filled fest of steriods, antibiotics and other fun stuff to see the back of a stupid little cold that I plain can't shake. A week on, I'm still not totally out of the woods but I'm keeping fingers crossed that if I give myself time and rest my body' ll do the healing. My energy has got steadily less so that by Friday I needed downtime but I'm hoping that a relaxed weekend will have kickstarted the recovery.

It hasn't kept me idle however....
Pete's Xmas sweater is now well and truly finished....

Another project bites the dust...though I DO seem to be sneaking extra things onto the list! It appears hubby's been snaffling my Snuggles fingerless gloves for dogwalking (they were looking extra dogeared!) so they're big and loose on me. Hence, a winter warmer kit may be imminent, a double thickness wooly hat (for both of us to be honest), scarf for him and some glittens. Or even, a double helping, one in plain black for work, one a little more colourful for dogwalking. Thing is, I can't help shaking the feeling that if I DO knit 'em, what's the chance they get little use?

It IS cold at the moment, part of the problem with my breathing has been fighting to breathe in a cold house so warm 'n' cosy sounds like the ticket to me right now . Like this project a mere whiff away from completion....

The Bergere De France Jacket has been a quick knit and though bulky, it's tightly knitted so will be lovely and warm. I have had a quick try on and as it's not too long I don't have the Uurgh! effect. Actually, it was finished altogether all bar the buttons but I'd miscalculated on the collar, knitted it too long and when sewn, it was loose and floppy rather than upright. It's just waiting for the wee frog back and sew up and the decision over button choice (there are 3-4 options) and it'll be finished.

Knitting throughout on 6mm needles (rather than 6.5mm) meant I got the correct width and a thick fabric BUT did take an extra 3 balls in total so it will have taken 21 balls all in. As BDF have used this luscious blackcurrant shade over a number of the ranges, I was able to purchase a pure wool DK yarn to sew up which matched perfectly.

After spending a fortnight with an Alpaca scarf wound around my neck permanently to keep the cold at bay, it became aparrent that perhaps a replacement might come in handy.

Minus it's buttons, I found a suitable pattern over on Ravelry using 2 balls of Twilleys Freedom Wool which I had spare. It took a few hours and should fulfill the criteria extremely well. I may be having a wee change of heart on accessories!

As if that wasn't enough, I got a bee in my bonnet about a new pattern that arrived in the shop...

It's a Military coat pattern in Wendy Pampas. And, yes, you would have thought that after the UUrgh! coat I'd have been dissuaded from the idea but it niggled and bugged so....

(thanks blogger!)

Well, I only started this onFriday afternoon but, as you can see, incredibly quick knit (though you DO need your wits about you for all the increase/decrease/buttonhole/yoga positions (joking!)). The sleeves may need a wee tweak and indeed, the whole pattern has had revision in light of the UUrgh! coat. Firstly, I swatched and changed needle size from 10mm and 12mm to 8mm and 10mm meaning I actually knitted the size I required rather than the one below.

The row counts were out as well, meaning it would have been longer than originally intended so, again, with experience, I altered the amount of rows between increases/decreases so that it should at least fit where it's meant to. Whether it'll actually suit me is another matter but there's always hope! I see a sewing up fest in my near future!

I'd like to get another warm 'n' wooly project on (and off) the needles whilst I can get most benefit from it so the Sirdar Hug coat is looming on the horizon. It's unlikely to be terribly flattering BUT will be cosy and comforting so I think I'll settle for that!

And these quick-knit socks have also taken my eye....

Colourful, eh?

On etsy news, there's been no dyeing this week, in fact things are going on hold for a while to give me time to recover and review my options. Whilst I do love dyeing, it is a big energy grabber and there's an awful lot going on in my life right now. The reason I may not have been able to shake this cold could be too much candle burning and I can't take on too much at the expense of my health.

Sooo, you'll most likely see more knitting, a bit of spinning (I'm SO craving that right now!) and maybe more dyeing once the weather get's warmer. Then again, who knows what'll be round the next bend??

2 comments:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Oh you are well ahead, aren't you! I never seem to have anything FINISHED, just lots and lots on the go, and more popping their tempting heads up every minute. Love the two jackets you're currently working on and it's nice to find someone else who always has to go down a couple of needle sizes to get remotely near gauge.

Anonymous said...

oooh your knits are looking beautiful. Hope you're feeling better soon.