Monday 24 November 2008

A Different kind of Fever....

Last week was full of interest, a week Monday found three of us on a spur-of-the-moment decision trip to Colinette...despite not exactly having the healithiest bank account! Still, a great time out was had by all, we had half-price sandwiches care of Lyndsey, the driving in the capable hands of Nadine and I provided...moral support?

The sales section may not have had quite as rich pickings as previous visits but there was still plenty to confuse and befuddle the senses, we all ran around enchanted by the whole experience, oohing and aahing over the luscious colours and wonderful fibres. I had a wee shopping list for others that took some figuring out (they'd mis-labelled the colour!) but managed to ferret out this from the sales section....

500g (or thereabouts) of semi-solid Prism to be matched with the grey mix (for yardage). I picked out a pattern too....

...Pretty, eh? Thing is, there's enough wool there to knit a plain sweater for hubbie and it'd be suitable colourwise and the only Colinette number he's got...some decisions to be made....


Whatever I choose, it's not a total dead loss, I paid ...wait for it...FULL PRICE for these two!!! They're darker in reality, although the colourway is " October Afternoon" I think it's much more Christmassy than that and there's a prectical sock yarn and a terribly unpractical pure silk yarn to appeal to my decadent side! It would be fun to knit the socks before xmas if I have time, you'll just have to watch this space to see if it gets done in time...

By the following Monday however, things started to go a little awry...I had a sore throat that went straight onto my chest and later on in the week came up into full blown cold so I've been pill popping for all I'm worth to keep me going (and breathing!) and keeping everything crossed that I don't need antibiotics. At least I always have a pack of steroids on hand so I don't have to wait for doctor's appointments and can treat straight away. My energy levels lasted out most of the week though now I am beginning to flag but it does have its advantages....


...For example, the MIL waistcoat got sewn up, buttoned and de-haired (darn dogs!) and is now displayed in the shop window....

Where it will not accrue further dog hairs!
I've been busy knitting the sleeves on Hubbie's Sweater too and finished the second one on Saturday....


....Now I just need a hubbie-free slot to pick up and rib the neckline and sew in the ends and another xmas project bites the dust!

The Bergere De France Jacket has been increasing slowly, not so much lack of energy or enthusiasm but time! Still, it's a reasonably quick knit so a few hours here and there does make a good impact.

If I had one criticism, it'd be the slight inconsistencies in the pattern and the order of certain sentences that would benefit from a slight re-jig. It's nothing that a intermediate knitter or better wouldn't spot but it does take more than a cursory glance to take in all the information needed e.g. slipping 1st sts one either side for neatness AND counting for the vertical buttonholes as well as patterning the front...
On the plus side, it's knitting into quite a tight knit, cushy fabric and whilst I suspect it will pill easily, I think it will be lovely and warm and it looks fantastic. Being a blend of 50% Alpaca and 50% Wool, it feels rich and soft and I bet would felt beautifully. It's a good price too!

And Monday also held the first clue of Mystic Ice....


Being a totalo masochist (of course!) I decided to go for the square shawl so each line is repeated four times which means that, as yet, I haven't actually completed clue 1; though I am around line 51! In typical fashion, when I picked this up to photograph it, a pile of stitches flew off the needles (aargh!) which I've mostly picked up but will take my attention shortly to repair it.
Although it doesn't show terribly well on the background, I'm liking how the pale patterned yarn is not detracting from the pattern. I still have the original yarn recommended which I showed you last post and will no doubt knit something pretty by and by but this colour spoke more of iciness and cold to me at least.
No photo but the FIL sock 1 has been completed, I have started the second leg and am trying to translate the pattern on the first as i didn't actually write it down but made it up as I went along, D'oh! Still, I will muddle on and woorst case, they'll be fraternal, not exactly identical but close enough!
The Etsy shop has been ticking along nicely, I posted another parcel out today and I would like to get another small update in towards the beginning of December in case people are looking for prezzies (or a pick-me-up!) but it'll be totally dependent on time and energy reserves so I'll just keep the blog informed if/when anything changes. I do have some fabbo ideas though!
Well, as I'm typing, the chancellor's giving his pre-budget report so let's keep fingers crossed that there'll be a few sweeteners to free up a little cash. I am only glad that we're pretty loan and credit card phobic or things could be really nasty. Hang on in there, folks (and keep knitting those sweaters!).
See you soon.





No comments: