Monday 3 September 2007

Well, another packed weekend!
My very first wheel, a Kromski Minstrel went to its new home on Saturday. I was sad to see it go but it really wasn't being used and it was, literally, a third wheel! Still, the pennies will come in useful towards a new camera, or a trip to a local fibre venue... not quite decided which yet!

Anyway, as promised, the spoils of Sunday aka Manchester GMEX stitch fair. It was the last day of the show, definitely smaller than the last one we went to and unfortunately my bargain yarn man wasn't in evidence. However...


...That doesn't stop me spending money! There were five yarn stands in all, I ended up buying from 4 of them. There was a full pack of Rowan Chunky Print and All Seasons Cotton from The Black Sheep...



...Oodles of Twilleys Freedom Spirit at only £2 per ball! This shall remain anonymous until I buy up their entire stock!! I now have enough for that jacket (even though I don't actually have the pattern yet!), some pretty pink for a felted thing (maybe bag, maybe not); and enough for a full other garment in one of the new shades (blues/purples).


Web of wool had a final day offer (which, I'm sure had nothing to do with the fact that the bloke a few stalls down had it at £2.99 a ball, cheaper than their original price!). Anyway, there was a third off their original price (which escapes me) so I picked up 11 balls of this gorgeous superwash yarn for around £28!

I don't ACTUALLY have a pattern for it yet, though I can think of a few, it may be another designer inspiration, wait and see!



The picture's a bit rubbish, so I took another to show the depth of the hues, gorgeous Autumn shades! A ball or two of Noro might have slipped into my bag too (along with some undyed BFL sock yarn!). This was from a shop local(ish) to me that I MUST visit soon,

Freakily, I was recognised by a lady on that stall! We're in the same UFO knitalong and unfortunately, our knitting nights are the same day or I might have met up with her by now.

I didn't know she ran the shop though, so I can still catch up there. Blog communities are funny things, it's the first time I've been recognised but it was exciting somehow! She told me about a knitting group at FACT, a Cinema in Liverpool on Thursdays, the next one being the 17th? The lights are kept up during the playing of the film so you can watch and knit, and tea and coffee are served. Must investigate further...

I also bought some beads to go with my next lace project.

They're actually purpley with irridescent(ness) so I thought black or charcoal laceweight but I might just use the bluey/black skein that I'm also using for the SP stole. Again, something to mull over...

Ooh, not to be forgotten...



...8 balls of Louisa Harding Kimono Ribbon? for only £2 per ball, a pretty big discount as they were originally a fiver each! The colours were dull even after I hiked the brightness so you'll have to use your imagination! They were from the Black Sheep too.

Knitting news- the designathon continues to be a quick knit, and the yardage on the ball is fantastic! I've knitted all of the back and probably all one front from one 200g ball!. I'm just about to start the v neck shaping so hopefully, I'll have a completed front this evening.



The bad news is the Gansey Sock, you know the saying "pride comes before a fall"?



Meet Gansey Sock 2. After the 3 hours knitting to and from Manchester. Pretty much at the heel. Damn.

I began to study first sock on the journey into Liverpool and noticed a wee fault in one of the early cables. Never mind, I told myself, the other one's fine, I'll just make it always face the inside. I blithely carried on knitting all day, it was only when I seperated stitches out for the heel that I noticed the big gaping difference...I never cast off 2 sts after the rib. SO, I'd been gaily knitting along with a 4 stitch gap on one side of the cable and 2 everywhere else. It might not sound like much, but when I handed it to my not particularly observant husband and he spotted it without too much prompting, I knew I'd never be able to live with it so, off to the frog pond it went!

I was sort of hoping I could cross this one off the list considering how much knitting I've got planned between now and Christmas, especially SIX pairs of socks to knit. A little lateral thinking needed...hmmm.....................................................

1 comment:

Donna said...

Fab yarn purchases!

Guess what, I got my Reiki Masters this weekend too!