Thursday 13 September 2007

Phew, where do I begin?

...First with thanks for all your kind comments about my swatches. Trawling in my stash, I happened upon a dark dusky pink/pale plum semi solid laceweight that I swatched and decided as it had the same yardage as the Jaggerspun that perhaps that'd be the one. Now, however I'm prevaricating between that and the cashmere which, after all, is cashmere and has been endorsed by no less than the Nautical Knitter herself! Still, got to have something to prevaricate over!

That said, it really meant a lot to me that so many of you took the trouble to make a comment. The gorgeous blue, I think will be reserved for a garment where stretch will not be a problem. The handdyed laceweight does look nicer on smaller needles but drove me up the wall both times I swatched with it due to its fineness so will be reserved for a later date, that way I only have to flip-flop between two choices!

Anyway, the needles have been busy with other things..



...This is the design-from-scratch cardi I've been blogging about. I spent most of the weekend frogging and reworking the first sleeve (it has eyelets up the centre for increases, v. pretty but difficult to photograph!); Knitted up the second one in no time on Sunday, then was up to the wire Monday night sewing up. Sorry the pics are so dark, it's been night each time I've had a second to snap a shot and the old camera can't cope well in low light.

Anyway, here it is worn (somewhat unflattering photos taken after copious amounts of fine Indian dining hence somewhat wider than normal physique!).


This is with the notched flaps down, they also look pretty up. I've learnt a hell of a lot from doing this, particularly working my way through notched collars- could I find any examples in my copious library? Nada, scratch, they're not THAT difficult, just something to get your head around but designers seem to avoid them like the plague!

Anyway, after nearly killing myself to finish THAT cardi, I decided I needed a day off...so what do I do on my day off?...........

...............I knit Twinkle, of course!



Here it is in the flesh, the Best Friend Cardi from Twinkle's Big City Knits, knitted in two strands of Sirdar Nova Super chunky on 15mm needles. Armed with the somewhat copious errata, I thought that all the errors had been sorted, however, one extremely large error still remains.

The issue I have is with Gauge. Now, perhaps I'm a little quicker on the uptake after the Jackety Coaty thing pattern debacle which meant I had to rewrite it in its entirety. However, I was disappointed to find that I could only get 7 sts to 4" when the pattern stated 9 1/2. HOWEVER, using my maths, a sweater that was 56 sts wide (all around) would come out at 25", NOT 33" as stated- even before you decrease a bit more for the pull of the cable.

Unfortunately, I swatched with four different needle sizes before it hit me the next morning - the gague is WRONG, mine is closer, if not RIGHT! Doing the maths again, 56 sts into 7 then times by four equals 32"!

Of course, as usual, I knitted the middle size aiming for a 30" and ended up closer to a 32" which looks like this on me...


...(By the way, I AM a bit P****d off in the photo as himself was being a MAN!).

I'm still deciding about the overall look but so far, I think I like it! Somehow, the giant cables do seem to shrink you down somewhat although there ended up being only 3-4" of negative ease and the front stitches did look a little open with the stretching. I am tempted (time permitting!) to try something else from the book to see if it's not a fluke, maybe after I've knitted a few pairs of socks?

Anyway, this morning in between sewing up the Best Friend Cardi, I've been playing with this...



...It's my new camera! The first BFC was taken with it, the second with the old camera, difference? It's only got a weeny card at the mo. so it's 8 pics then upload but in the next few days I'll be getting a nice big 2GB card and a set of batteries and charger, so holidays, watch out!

And as if that wasn't enough. I've managed to squeeze in another quick project too!



Sweet, isn't it, a pretty, innocent, felted bucket bag with an embroidered swirl on the side...



...A cute little glass pendant heart tucked into the rear...pretty......



...And then you see the lining!


....Not so innocent now!
(I'm quite proud of that one though!)

2 comments:

Donna said...

I REALLY like Twinkle. You have been busy!

Anonymous said...

Hi chris-fiona from Macclesfield here. Love your swatches for the mystery stole. didn't get mine done yet- decided to be sensible and try to get some of my other projects finished first. its really nice to think there is someone geographically close attempting the stole!!!