Saturday 8 September 2007

Secret of the Stole Swatches

HEEELP!!!!
I've been swatching...with the assistance of alcohol...last night.

I started by swatching this one...



...This was what I'd originally planned to use, I'd bought a skein of undyed pure wool laceweight which actually had masses of dye thrown at it TWICE but it's still lightly variegated (it gets less so as you knit). It's actually a blend of navy, black and purple but it goes great with the beads I've chosen. I stuck a couple of rows of stocking stitch in between the pattern repeats on this one but didn't bother on the others, alcohol etc...There's 1200 yards to a 100g skein so it's a bit tight on the yardage, especially if it's shrunk any and I'm not too sure if its a bit too lacy.

Then again, there's always this one...



...It's from the Colourmart suitcase, (don't ask!), this one's a blend of an off white and denimy blue strand of cashmere twisted together. Their yarns are generally on the lighterweight side so this is classified as 2/14 which they call 4 ply. It's meant to bloom and fluff up a bit after washing so would look better then. It also goes well with the beads but I'm not sure if the colour is quite right (or appropriate!).

The third choice (so far) is this one...


...Another from the humble cones pile, a 2/16 plied yarn with a smidge of mohair that gives a slightly fluffy halo but not enough to distort the design. It's a not-quite navy yarn with a lot of acrylic but the design stands out well and the beads being paler would definitely stand out too.

Most of my other laceweights are highly variegated or fluffy so unsuitable.

I'm really undecided as to which yarn to go with, I'm no fibre snob, It doesn't matter to me what it's made of as long as it looks good. Any suggestions/preferences welcomed!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had to choose: the third one!

Peggy said...

They are all lovely, but I really like the laceyness of the first. :)

JavaNut said...

I love the first, especially with the subtle color blending. I also like the heathered look of the second... but for what it's worth, the first is my favorite.

Waiting for my yarn to arrive so I can start swatching!!

Gertieanne said...

I like the second one.

SYLVIE said...

I'm partial to the third one :)

woolydoodles said...

Hmmmmm I like the first one...well you know my love for all things variegated!!!
I'm on the hunt for some laceweight...Ebay is being scoured frequently! I want to get some before next weekend so I can start while I'm at my sis's....I may have to pay Angie a vist but I really don't know when:(
Take lots of care
Love n hugs
Mel x

Olivia-Lee said...

I see your quandry. I like the color of the first and the third.
You are going to absolutely love the sumptious feel of the cashmere 2/14 when you wash it good and I don't think the color is unsuitable as I understand the recommendations....is that the blue marl...I have been considering it for socks. The acrylic blend may be hard to block. I don't think you have to ask me how I know. I still use it but only on projects that will not need the stretching. I have a couple of stoles that I actually prefer the texture unblocked.

I have done about 10 swatches from my stash so far and I haven't even gotten my knit picks order.

I started my MS3 in the peach 2/18 cashmere ( I call it Swine Lake...did you see the video...Hilarious) and it is lovely washed roughly and gently blocked. I may finish it eventually with or without the wing. I started over when the winged version came out because I decided I simply must have it in white. After several different yarn purchases I decided to follow Melanie's example and bought the Zephyr she used. That is why I am leaning toward the Knit Picks now. Only I couldn't decide which I wanted so I bought them all...sigh...I am so glad I have my own debit card. My DH would kill me.

Donna said...

I like the second one.

Anonymous said...

I like all three. (smug smile) But, I think I like #2 the best.

24 days...

Fair Winds, DK