Wednesday 19 September 2007

Another week and what a lot to blog about! Twinkle, Ganseys, Invaders and Clippers too!

In my defence, we are in the rundown to the aforementioned holiday and things have gone beyond frantic! I did however manage to have some time out last weekend...



...I finished the "I Love Gansey" socks...finally! (For the record, they are not ACTUALLY evil, you just need to READ the pattern occasionally, not just blithely think 'cos you've done one already you know the score!). I haven't used the heart pattern on the back of the heel, as they get skinned v. easily and the toes are tweaked a mite too (personal preference) but I'm pleased with the overall finished look, even if I DO know the mistake at the beginning of the first sock (like I'm going to correct THAT one!).


Sunday afternoon, we walked down to the front to see what all the fuss was about.

We walked as far as Seacombe ferry, waiting for the 3pm "kick off", it didn't disappoint.




It was the start of the round the world Clipper race which finishes in JULY 2008! At 3pm, the boats sailed up the river, either side of one of the fire barges which was pumping out water either side for all it was worth!

They circled around it then sailed back towards the Albert dock, ready for the start of the race.

This old tea Clipper was around to see them off, the helicopter kept circling, no doubt beaming images all around the globe. We watched them sail down towards the river mouth and then something else happened...

...We were treated to another aerial display! In truth, I don't know who this team were, not the distinctive Red Arrows but they still put up a great display.

Of course, Floppy was terribly distressed when we got home!

In other knitting news, I HAVE started the Christmas sock mountain...just about!

Can you tell what it is yet?

Actually, I do have to confess something, in amongst my myriad of projects, I had to sneak another one in! (therapeutic value, obviously!)


It's the Skating Sweater from Twinkles Big City Knits, it was started yesterday morning and worn from this lunchtime, total knit time 1 and a half days- personal record?


The yarn differs from the Best Friend cardi (which is so cosy, it really is my new friend!). I used Sirdar Bigga this time which is why it looks chunkier but there's still plenty of negative ease, I knitted the size small to make up for the larger gauge but unstretched, it's around 24"!

The slightly bizarre thing is, this had nearly half the stitches on the circulars than the BMP sock did! (until I meddled with it!). So, a quick knit, very warm and I don't think it makes me look like the side of a house, does it? (or do I care if it does?).

This is likely to be the last chance to blog for a week or more, I shall catch up with you all on my return with plenty of piccies and possibly a project or two?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see you filling your "bucket of life" to the brim! Clipper races. . yummy...great sweater!! and a trip on top.. all I have to offer is we bought a motor home!! Now it will be a lo-o-o-ng time before I get to Skye!

Anonymous said...

You're doing the space invaders socks! My husband is dying for a pair, so they'll be the next things on my needles most likely. However, I'll probably have to tweak the pattern for his size 13 feet...

Love the gansey socks.