Tuesday 19 June 2007

End of an Era

I just had to take a last photo of my LYS before it changes out of all recognition. Ryder House has been in the same place for lord knows how long and the current (just about) owners took it over from a Mrs Ryder sometime back in the fifties, I think!

Well, it finally closed its doors this Saturday, after the death of the husband (mr Ryder) late last year. The wife struggled on but esentially it was always hubbie who had the great love of yarn and she'd been at him for years to sell up. It was always a unique experience, both of them in their eighties (I think) and a place that shunned technology with one of those wooden box tills, handwritten reciepts and no cards, thank you!


Here it is in the flesh, you'll no doubt recall the bargains I've been picking up as slowly, bit by bit, the stockrooms were emptied and the bargains were found. As you can see, it hasn't exactly had much care over the years and I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was ripped to bits and modernised to within an inch of its life by the developer who bought it.

So, farewell, Ryder House, and good luck to Mrs Savage who hopefully will have a well earned break!

The pic was taken on the way to my friends so I thought you could have a photo of one of her brood (and extended family). She has four Papillon dogs, little weeny bundles of nuisance!


Biscuit's relieved that there'll be no more yarn coming into the house (little does she know about Thursday's jaunt!)


...And Floppy shows us why he got that name!!

The jays are now oficially on the foot proper AND I'm starting on an SP project... more about that in the next post!

But for now, that's all folks!

No comments: