Sunday 28 December 2008

Winter warmers - for the feet

What is your favourite way of keeping your feet warm?

I must admit, I’m a massive fan of knitted wool socks! I have quite wide feet at the front and have to wear cloth training shoes to accommodate them so if it’s raining, my feet get wet! Wool socks keep them feeling warm and toasty even if they are wet. Felted slippers are great for keeping the draughts out inside too.

Do you have a favourite pair of socks you reach for to keep your toes toasty?
(all rav. links)
Well, I learned after knitting a whole heap of pairs that socks with a reverse foot (purl bumps on the outside) was best for me because I’m a loose knitter and those bumps on the inside wear ridges in my feet when I walk on them lots (ouch!). But of the other sort I’ve knitted, my faves are the ones I knitted this year as part of the Sock Madness competition. The Laceweight sock is sooo pretty (and lovely and comfy tho. not at all practical!) and I loved the paint job I did on this pair…

Is there a pair of socks/slippers you have been wanting to make for ages but haven't got around to?

I have bought six of Cookie A’s mindbenders (Millicent, Gothic Spire, Mingus, Rhiannon, Stricken and Twisted flower) and even cast on for the cuff of Millicent for my ma for xmas. When I found it would be too big for her, I put it on hold to do for myself but still haven’t got around to doing any more :( Still, I think they're works of art and hope to knit them all one day.

I personally like to stretch myself but at the end of the day it's just nice to get something I haven't sweated blood and tears over myself, no matter how simple or complex it is :-)

I keep knitting long socks for other people but not for myself (D’oh!). I like the idea of the Whitby socks as a quick knit, I only recently knitted a pair of DK socks for the first time and can see the time advantages.

I think those felted boot slippers look fab and a bit different too. I’ve queued loads of socks in ravelry do do eventually but then something else gets in the way, sigh….

What is your favourite finished object that warms your feet?

Too many to count!

What is your favourite yarn to use for socks/slippers?

I have used both Regia and Opal sock yarns and found Opal a bit coarser but I loved the Posh yarns socks I knitted (merino?), the Laceweight ones (merino/cashmere) and Socks that Rock lightweight are lurvely to wear. I’m a bit of a colour fanatic though so it doesn’t stop me buying new colourways! I can always wear the less soft pairs round the house.

No comments: