Monday 25 February 2008

Topic of the week 5 and 6 (UK swap)

Cor, I'm getting bad at this! I could make the excuse that I've been working flat out to get my swapmate's parcel together which I have done a bit but life kind of gets in the way too!
Anyway, better late than never, here's the next installments.

Topic of the Week #5: Anticipation
Q:What kind of Spoilee are you? Are you paranoid that it's not being sent, or lost in the post? Do you want it to arrive quickly? OR Do you enjoy the anticipation? Sitting and pondering when it will arrive... and anxiously waiting for it, close to the deadline?

Hmm, no I'm not worried about when I get my parcel, considering the last parcel of SP10? got stuck at customs and didn't turn up until weeks later (it should have been airmail), I've learned not to sweat over the small stuff. After all, I do plenty of sweating over my driving right now! I am looking forward to my parcel, it's nice to see how other people see you but it's just as nice to "meet" new people, chat and find common ground. Plus, as it's coming from the U.K. and not Australia, it's a bit less likely to go astray!

Topic of the Week #6: Swapping
Q: Have you done a swap before (doesn't have to be a knitting swap)? What do you like best about swapping? Are there any personal "requirements" that a swap has to have before you will join?

I've completed 2 rounds of Secret Pal, an international swap scheme and done a single swap bot swap. I found some amazing friends through Secret Pal because the nature of the swap means it goes on for around 3 months and can involve 3 parcels (or less if your spoilee agrees) to a total of $60. You get plenty of time to read blogs and knit beautiful items and I did put my heart and soul into my packages. There have been good and bad points about that scheme but the fact that it had been running for numerous times and an effort was made at the beginning of each round to learn from any failings of previous times gave me confidence in joining in.

The Swap-Bot swap was different, it was a single swap for sock yarn and pattern and I was a brand newbie so I had to contact the organiser for the go-ahead. Luckily, the person I was spoiling was in this country so I could bulk the package somewhat and make her day but a while later I got a fab skein of Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn through the post and a printed pattern. The pattern she'd chosen was just me, Hedera from Knitty but the skein was wonderful fire colours and would be the perfect yarn for Fawkes socks so it is on my (very long) to do list!

After doing a few schemes, I would perhaps be a little more selective in the future, hence choosing U.K. swap, it saves a fortune in postage! Still fun though!

In other news, the washing machine still stands somewhat crookedly in the corner leaking slightly through the rust spot but essentially still full to the brim. I've left messages for the man who can but it appears that perhaps right now, he can't. It wouldn't be so bad if the washload didn't contain the vast majority of our socks which I'd finally got around to doing something about so we will both be sockless imminently. Good job we've a Primark!

Poor old hubbie finally rolled in at past 11pm last night so we were both the worse for wear today but I did sit and complete the cute little cardi. I will show you, just not right now!

No comments: