Friday 8 February 2008

By the Skin of my Teeth (and other furry tales)

Well, thanks to the timezone differences and a bit of blood sweat and tears, I've managed to complete clue 3 of the Secret of the Stole ii pattern in time to enter the competition...not that I'm the sort that wins competitions you know, unless it's the dregs at the end of a raffle!



I must admit that the knitting ennui had put me right off lace knitting (along with anything else the slightest bit complex) but I'm happy to say that since the demi-cold (you know the sort that only appears at certain times of the day?) has helped lower the old BP a bit, I've been able to pick up the reins a little. Partly the yarn (which is gorgeous) spurs me on to another row and the pattern is not difficult which is extremely useful for my befuddled brain right now. So, well done DK , you have inspired me to return to lace knitting once again!

In other news, here is the photo of the aforementioned "Walking Carpet Coat"

It was originally designed for Sirdar Foxy, a second-generation eyelash yarn with two tiers to emulate natural furs. I happened upon packs of Wendy Racy Lady (aka Foxy Lady- an almost direct rip-off) which has the exact yardage, needle size, tension and shade of the above but at only £8 per pack so it had to be done, despite the fact that eyelash is so passe!

The carpet element comes from a stray comment made by DH that what was on the needles "looked like a carpet" and as I'll be wearing it, hence walking therefore it shall be "the Walking Carpet Coat" from now on. As it knits on 8mm needles (quick) and is therefore a bit fluid and drapey, ther's no point in me showing you it in its in progress state, I just send a little prayer up to the god (or goddess) of knitwear that this won't be the total disaster I'm dreading! The Twilleys jacket grows..occasionally...and slowly but I'm under no assumptions that it'll be finished sometime soon, especially as I need to knit something for the Skip North sponsored Charity aaaand...Sock Madness starts next month....Like I haven't enough on my plate! But, missing out on last time, I would like to be a part on this occasion, even if I fall at the first fence!

Well, DH has had a well-earned day off today and so we sampled the foodie delights to be found in Chester (even with the exorbitant £4-£5 car parking charge!). I found other sources of yarn in the market (an indoor gem) and a new jacket to replace my much battered denim for the summer.


Ah well, had to finish with this shot, I thought it was rather clever! Flop's actually in his favourite place (by the fire) but when I saw how well he was framed by the wheel, well...! I could say he was whacked out spinning but he's more likely to be getting in the way or getting freaked out by the noise!
See ya next time.

No comments: