Monday 12 November 2007

I'm Back! (by the skin of my teeth!)

Sorry I'm a bit late on this post, it's been a bit of a catalogue of errors this week!

It started well enough, I finished sewing up the Blur sweater just in time for the Knitting group on Tuesday evening, and roped in a friend to take this one...


...Well, it makes a change from the same old scene! You can see some of the goodies in the shop behind me, I am already lusting after half of it! It was a quick knit but I had so many other projects in the way that it took 2 months to complete :(

It's perhaps not the most flattering of garments but it's a thinnish warm layer and that's good around this time of year as the weather turns more towards the cooler end of the scale.

And with that in mind, I cast on another project!

It's Wendy Fusion (which I adore!) and another way to stashbust somewhat quicker than laceweight which takes up most of my knitting time right now. It's got decoration on the front but the rest is pretty mindless for those fogged out days, though it's been weird knitting with 5 1/2 mm needles after all the sock knitting! Of course, I couldn't help fiddling with the sizing and adding a wee bit of shaping though it'll probably still be quite wide (but cosy!).

I completed the next clue of the Mystic Waters Shawl, squeezing all but the last 6 rows out of the first skein. I'm still not sure I'll have enough to finish it completely but it's squaring up to be huge anyway so I don't think it'll be too much of a problem!

It's still taking a while but it is truly beautiful!

Things did go a bit downhill on Thursday when I managed to throw an entire pint of water all over the sofa, floor, laptop, knitting et al. After some frantic scrabbling, a manic unplugging and switching off, it was just a case of letting everything dry out hence the late post! Actually, it was the general mood for that day considering I'd spent the morning trying to track down batteries for the camera and charging them all as they were all totally dead, racing round to find the now one remaining working phone and so on. Not the best of days :(

It didn't take me too long to print out the shawl chart and on Friday the stole chart and work from the printouts so I wasn't left totally in the dark but I did get a bit twitchy not having Ravelry and the likes at my fingertips! We actually did a bit of Christmas shopping on Friday too as Himself had a day off so I'm playing catch up on the stole right now. Still, camera is now fine, laptop is AOK, Ebay items went over smoothly and were posted today (could have done without the half hour queue in the post office though!).

The travelling knitting got a boost though, what with Friday and visiting my brother on Saturday so you won't be too surprised to see another sock on the needles.

Yup, after saying I needed time before revisiting the Jaywalker pattern, it just seemed right to this project. It'll be a pair of socks for himself for Christmas and whilst fair isle patterning yarn isn't recommended, this Opal yarn has big bands of solid colour so I think it works really well. I'm making them a couple of inches longer than recommended to make it more male length.

Actually, it's been a yarny month, wonderful Charity went to a Blue Moon Fibre arts sale and offered to pick up some goodies for me, she did offer to tell me what she'd got but I'm happy to wait and see what arrives, it'll be a wonderul surprise. Follow the link and see what she picked up, it looks like a fab day out!


I also managed to pick up a hank or two from Wollemeise, some laceweight for a future project, sock yarn and undyed laceweight to have a play with, pic's to follow.

And it that wasn't enough, I'm nearly all set for tomorrow, the great Ravelry Colinette meet! Non-blogging Lyndsey who's recently passed her test has agreed to go on the adventure with me, I'm so excited! I look forward to meeting friends old and new (and "enabling" yarn purchases!). You'll have to wait until my next blog for what happened next!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a post. You sound so happy. I haven't posted or knitted much this last month. We are finished with dr, appts and the operation is on for Friday. I can't believe it almost here, one year later. The Mystic Waters is so beautiful and I love the socks.

Anonymous said...

Your package is on its way as of yesterday! I hope you enjoy the Socks that Rock yarn. I did include something else as an early Holiday gift! - Charity

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

You have Colinette meets? Why didn't I know! I'd have flown over to Liverpool, grabbed a car and MET you! Let me know for next year, will you? Adore Colinette, and a visit is well overdue.