Sunday 3 August 2008

Spinning, snoring, heat, knitting and sleep (or lack of both!)

Well, we're getting there on the sleep front, it's certainly improved with the slightly cooler weather and the nasal strips seem to have reduced although not quite beaten hubbie's snoring yet so things are definitely on the up.

The weather today is definitely grey, I could blame it on the fact that I picked up some bamboo yarn yesterday and forced my befuddled brain through a simple slip stitch pattern. It's early days yet (and I know I have a dozen other things on the needles) but I would like a cooler sweater as a cover-up for the summer. Pity every time I cast on or knit the dratted things, the weather turns foul!

On the knitting front also, I've had another setback on the Pampas coat. After another frogfest, it's been put aside for a few weeks 'till things are a little cooler and I've a little more brainpower. So, from Wednesday I've been doing a bit of mindless spinning...


...From the left there are the two skeins spun in the dying hours of the Tour-de-France, 2 small 25g piles of handdyed tops from Raw Fibres in Robin Hood's Bay. The third skein is another batt of Sockstuff from my swap with Mel, unfortunately spun a little finer than the other two so I'll have to be careful with the last one. It will make fab socks though I'll need to swatch to check needle size as I'm (relatively) new to the knitting with handspun thing. I'm currently spinning up that wonderful Merino Silk top that I showed you last time, it's a joy to spin and I'm taking my time (for a change!) and just working when I have the energy.

Speaking of spinning, fool that I am, I've set myself another goal!

I need to prep 34, yes thirty four batts in order to spin a skein a day every day of the Olympics. I'm up to twelve so far but I'll need to pull my finger out to get the majority of them prepared before Friday. I do have a back-up plan in case I don't hit target but that'll be another fleece cleared and I DID say I'd take a month off spinning and never got around to it so the combination of the TDF and Olympics will make another dint in the fleece mountain.

I'd like to take the opportunity to knit some of my handspun during the event too but no pressure, if I get the time before to swatch and do the maths, fine, otherwise it can wait for another day. I do have another little project on the go too....

It's a design I concocted myself, towards the Christmas present knitting. I'm making it up as I go along but I'm deliberating ripping it back to the rib and re-doing the cables. I'd love to finish these by the end of the Olympics which would also be my one and only entry into Summer of Socks as the other plans have gone so badly.

They're being so prettily displayed on another of Mel's swap items, sock blockers. I can't remember whether I've shown you all the stuff she gave me but it was a really well put together and thoughtful selection so thanks again Mel!

I had another spot of luck this week on my return from afternoon knitting group, a needlework cabinet/box on legs that I spotted in a second-hand shop. It had been there a month or so and had been reduced that day from £20 to £10. I had seen under it's hinged lid and noticed there was stuff inside but didn't know the full extent. Anyway, I had to unpack the thing in order to lug it home and guess what was inside?



Aside from vintage packs of sewing needles, some knitting needles and vintage '60's and earlier patterns, there were these 2 old biscuit tins, one crammed with vintage buttons! I bet it was some grannie's pride and joy so maybe she'll be happy that it's now residing in the house of a true craft-head. I can remember my own grandmother's comprehensive button box, in fact I think that's where my love of buttons comes from.

Right, better get drumcarding, see you next time (but don't hold your breath!).

3 comments:

Jane said...

Love the colours of the spun yarn, enjoy knitting it

Ronni said...

Your yarns look gorgeous. Your industry is making me tired though and I only just finished breakfast! And congrats on scoring the needlework cabinet and it's lovely surprises! I've always wanted one of those but can never find an original one (rather than the modern knockoff type). You did very well there.

Anonymous said...

oooooooh buttons! what a fantastic find! Those homespuns look gorgeous, great colours.
Good luck with your olympic goal.