Sunday 24 August 2008

Endings and new Beginnings

To say it's been a frantic week would in no way cover how many balls I've been juggling (and dropping!) but I'm still here, I've just watched the closing ceremonies at theBeijing Olympics so I'm taking a short while to write my blog in between engagements.

What I forgot to mention (well, duh!) last week was that those ebay items were finishing on Sunday. They did very well, I did notice a familiar name or two in there along the way and now I've got my funds to cover the wheel repair plus a few pennies for luxury fibres which have already been purchased ready for the dyeathon come Tuesday. So if I arrive at knitting group with interesting coloured hands, you know why!

What was slightly more annoying was the two days I spent hunting for a book that basically didn't exist as I'd sold it on a previous auction and the consequent frantic e-mails to the poor irish buyer to assure her that a) I'd put the wrong book details in and b) the replacement book I was sending WAS the correct book for the yarn! I blame the rushing to list when I found out halfway through the day of half price fees and the general pace of things that I didn't catch the mistake before the listing ended and PMT for being so bloody minded in my tearing the house apart for two solid days that I didn't stop to think that maybe it might not be there!

Ah well, these things are sent to try us, especially when time's been tight trying to Lambanana spot before they disappear on the 26th. I finally managed to squeeze in a roam via public transport on Wednesday to bag an extra 7 though it's been frustrating when some are missing, relocated indoors or are back at the "vets".

Still, it HAS got me to parts of outer Liverpool that I haven't been to ever or in years and it makes me realize just how much the whole area has patches of new community buildings, some of the grungy areas are considerably less so and how really pretty certain areas are.

Anyway, I digress. I headed first to Liverpool one for 2 Lambananas (1 gone, GRRR) and to buy a prezzie for hubbie's mum and then back to the town hall to re-take the mayor. Look what I found at the side?


And no, I haven't the foggiest what that was all about!
Anyway, despite a very crowded foyer, I got a better shot...


...and headed off to Moorfields to go further afield. This got my attention...


...In a what the...? kind of way. Basically, it's a circular chunk cut out of a derilict building that rotates...but it does so much more than that. It rotates on a complex angle so it sticks proud of the guilding and hangs in open space as it moves, truly bizarre!

I spotted a news item about revolving trees in a different part of Liverpool which I will have to check out one day and also the metal art along the strand that's been increasing. Liverpool is certainly making a name for itself ;-)

Anyway, after my marathon trundle (you really don't want to know how many trains and buses you can fit into a 2 1/2 hour window) plus picking up of dog medication, we decided to do a little catch-up this morning....



I didn't manage to get everything, here are a couple I would have liked to see...



...But I have enjoyed what I have found. Even in the car, it's far better to see them in their proper context and even the more garish ones look better in the flesh. We might do a leisurely meander tomorrow and visit a few of the sites where the Wirral lambs are but in a way, I'm quite glad I don't need to spend further hours capturing the stragglers. Great fun though!

In Ravelympics news, despite the lack of time, I still managed to hit my initial target i.e. two batts per day by Friday. The mini-mountain looked like this...

Since then, I've managed a further 4 batts, there are 6 batts ready to spin and perhaps 2 batts worth ready to prep but I have oficially spun a whole fleece in 14 days! I am pleased with my progress though I'll admit to being a mite relieved to wind down from the punishing schedule of late. The wheel will go on the back burner for a week while I enjoy myself dyeing and then perhaps I'll slip in a day a week spinning to clear the last of it.

Ah well, time marches on and I'm off to yet another engagement. This time, it's a meal to celebrate the MIL's birthday on Tuesday, yesterday it was a meal at my ma's, on Friday we had a meal and a movie, I can see a diet looming in my future but not tonight....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

corr Liverpool definitely is becoming art central isn't it? The revolving trees sound intriguing! Love the yarn, the colours are gorgeous.