Friday 8 August 2008

Hopelessly Overcomitted? You Betcha!

Well, it started on Monday when I went Lambanana hunting. Four hours later, I'd managed 43 and incredibly achey feet so I went home happy. Want to see a few?








I particularly like the lit one, it was very effective but difficult to photograph. Well, you don't want to see them all at once, do you? It'd be a pretty photo intensive blog! Never mind, you can wait for the next installment, particularly as I might bag a few more on the weekend.
I was also getting stuck into my drumcarding target, despite my excursion, I still managed a creditable 5 batts so I could still break even by carding 3 on Tuesday even with both knitting groups and the fact that I was worn out after Monday.
Wednesday was a little more complicated...
I'd had an e-mail from the Co-op the night before giving a 3 hour timeslot for delivery of the new washing machine. It was 5pm in the afternoon so I had the freedom to get my lunch and start to clear the way in the afternoon without having to rush. About 3pm, I realized there was a snag...the old washing machine needed not only disconnecting but also moving all the way through the house and out the front door so that it was not blocking the way for the new delivery. Problem. I knew it would be payback big time, but what can you do? It needed doing so I pushed, pulled, dragged and heaved the damn thing all the way, put my back into it to get it over the 2 " doorstep (that was a beggar!) and out onto the concrete front. That worked out quite a sweat, I can tell you! Of course, there's the draining of the water hoses, the last of the water in the drum, disconnecting the waste pipe from under the sink even before the damned thing could be moved as well as cleaning round after it.
It was a good thing I DID move it too, I got a phone call around a couple of minutes after I sat back down (I was still huffung and puffing!) to say they were in the area early and could they deliver in an hours time. Anyway, delivery went without a hassle, they even tried to take the old one away (which I hadn't paid for) but as I knew a local scrap merchants would take it for free, and they would have been penalised for doing so, I warned them and they left it. Funnily enough, the next day, some blokes in a white van knocked on the door and asked if they could have it so I didn't even need to pick up the phone!
Anyway, I made sure they took away the packaging then I needed to plumb it in myself. A few little problems but by Thursday, I had it doing a pre-wash check and its first washload. I don't know if you can really call it exciting, it is only a washing machine but it is nice to have an infinitely superior machine that washes cleaner (even if longer) and spins better than the old one. Fingers crossed to a few years hassle-free service! At least, being a Bosch, it's got a very good reputation and good customer service if things do go wrong.
That was the good news, the bad news was that the exertions of the previous day were catching up with me. I knew I was in for a doozie as the pain took 48 hours to start kicking in so I'm walking at a snails pace and achey all over but it'll pass.
Finding out yesterday afternoon that it was a half price listing day didn't help either, I spent so much time getting listings and descriptions together that I missed the deadline to sign up for the Ravelympics teams! I thought I'd already posted a message about the Handspun Heptathlon but aparrently not. Whether anyone will take pity on me I truly don't know but I've also asked to be on team Hopelessly Overcommitted...apt, don'tcha think? I can always spin along anyway, even if I don't get the official button and support those who are in.
So, did I find any time to card the rest of the batts?

Well, I'm four off my target and with a little luck, I should scrape through another two before the opening ceremonies in a couple of hours time. I still have one pile of fleece so I will continue to card one batt a day during the olympics and if I manage to spin everything in the 17 days, I will award myself a personal gold. Even though the last week has been hideously busy, I'm hoping things will calm down a bit during the competition. At least I'm more prepared this time!
When I'm not spinning (and checking my ebay items), I might get the chance to knit a row or two of this...
Sorry about the lousy photo, better one soon! It's Wendy Pure, a bamboo tape yarn and I'm actually enjoying knitting it even after the usual frogging events so there's hope that this one might get finished! I've not entered the WIP wrestling so any progress on this one will go in the Hopelessly Overcommitted thread.

I had to show you this one...



I don't get as many good pic's of Biscuit but this one was a bit special, particularly how she managed to get spittle quite there on her nose!

For anyone that's interested, my ebay i.d. is chris_cheats you might find yourself a bargain or two!

2 comments:

Ronni said...

Sheesh! I'm exhausted just reading about your week! I think you've already won a gold medal for all that. And now that you've made me feel quite the little slacker I guess I better get off the computer for a bit and finish up some of my own physical labor required work.

By the way, I love your batts! They look so cheerful. It's making me want my own drum carder so I can make batts too.

Artis-Anne said...

Great pics of the super lambannana's :)
Good grief woman slow down!!, you are exhasting me just reading about it. Oh when you are done with your fleece you can pop over here and prep mine ;)