Thursday 6 December 2007

It's Magic! (or how not to knit a sock!)

Firstly, apologies for the somewhat lacklustre post last time. I've been suffering a bit with the old health this week (mostly self-inflicted..note to self, do NOT carry a 6kg wheel in a bag over your shoulder all the way through Liverpool-20 mins. and expect to get away with it!). I have been told by the other half in his somewhat undiplomatic way that I was "a right old grouch" on Monday so I was obviously not on top form.

Anyway, Would you like to see a bit of magic?

Here we have a nearly completed pair of socks...
I wave my magic wand (just use your imagination!)...
Now you see them...

...Now you don't!

Sorry, was that too fast for you?

Okay, let's do it one more time, just a little slower...

Going..................

Going......


Going....


(Nearly) gone!

To fill in the gaps, these were destined to become a pair of Jaywalkers for the aforementioned other half. Despite the fact that I have already knitted this pattern three times before for different sized feet, I mucked it up right royally!

Before starting the heel on the second sock, I got hubby to try the first one on, unfortunately it was tight getting over the heel area so I thought..okay, I fix the second heel, finish the second sock then rip the first back to the heel and fix it...Well, that was the plan.

I got hubbie to try the second half-finished sock on to check the heel modifications in case it needed further tinkering...he couldn't even get it on his foot, the leg was too tight!

So, adios amigos, they'll just have to wait 'till after Christmas. Still, look on the bright side, that's one UFO out of the pile! Actually, I've made good use of my lack of activity outside to complete 2 more long-standing UFO's, pic's to follow. I've actually sewed in 2, yes, TWO zips in cardi's this week, I'm dead proud!


3 comments:

LaLa said...

I've had problems with that pattern, also. When I made some for me, the ended up fitting my 6 year old cousin. Congrats on getting the zippers sewn in!

Donna said...

Oh dear what a shame. I am just on the second toe of my first pair of Jaywalkers. They are slightly big ion the leg but I like them.

Chris said...

Chris wan't really 'a right old grouch'. To be honest I can't remember saying that but I am a bloke so I would say that. I've seen these socks first hand and they're wonderful. Much respect for all you knitters!

Pete