Saturday 19 May 2007

D'you want the good news or the bad news?

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".
Well, I'd planned to do a normal post tomorrow as usual, pics et al now that my antivirus is happy but I felt I had to put this in writing as it will be a day that one day I might be able to look back on and not have a sick feeling in my stomach.

The good news? After a FOURTH phonecall and hubbies insistence that he get put thru to someone who could actually do something NOW, I finally have my e-mail back.

The bad news? Remember MS Mc Phee's blog a while back re: the definition of a Brick in computer terms? As in "as useful as a..." Yep, that computer with the dodgy power supply? Power supply dead- replaced, motherboard dead, both harddrives dead, dvd reader dead. So about the only thing working is the replaced power supply. Joy, deep unbounding joy, particularly the many gigabytes of hard work that is no doubt irretrievably lost and the £100 plus spent on it this year on new kit now fried!
So, yeah, my computer is a brick, big, solid and utterly useless!!!

Which kind of puts a dampener on the e-mail finally being reinstated as all my addresses were on that computer and this laptop got wiped so I can't contact any of my old pals, new pals, anyone who doesn't have my yahoo mail!

So, now we'll have to find £3-£400 for a new built replacement so anything that does still work will be totally defunct, sure, I'll have a shiny new system but wether I'll ever retrieve the stuff from my old one, god knows.

I promise to be a little more upbeat tomorrow, after all, its less than 3 weeks to my birthday but please let me grieve a little now.

No comments: