Sunday 13 July 2008

A week in Spinning

I honestly never thought I'd be interested in watching sport, any sport...But for some reason, I'm totally hooked on watching the Tour De France!

Having joined the Tour De Fleece group, it started as something to have in the background whilst spinning and whilst coverage on freeview is scant except for weekends (and even then only a couple of hours); I found a poor quality but free live feed on the internet which helped me to watch more live stuff during the week. But what I wasn't prepared for was getting so involved, as I'm "riding" along with them, they speed up, I speed up, god forbid I stop even to go to the loo until the commercial break!

I always knew I was a reasonably fast spinner but I've surprised even myself, may I present the results of 8 days of the tour.....


There's 750g of spun Ryeland, washed, painstakingly combed and prepped by me in advance; I raced thru that lot by Thursday, and 2 skeins of coloured stuff again washed, dyed and drumcarded into fluffy batts. Unfortunately, I only managed to produce 4 before the competition began and they were eaten up on Friday so quite some hours of prep had to be found to make the rest. There's at least another 2 lots of this fleece to be prepped but it would be fab if I could spin thru it all by the end of the tour (and if I can prep the rest of the ryeland too, wahey!).

Anyway, splitting up the days a bit...

...Here's where I finished at the end of day 2, 2 more skeins to add and as they were fuller than the previous days, I'd topped my 100g by an extra 28g so I was happy BUT I wanted to do more...

...In an amazing session that lasted until 11pm on day 3, I managed 3 great skeins. Mondays are quieter and there was around 3 hours of live coverage so I was intensely pleased with my progress, especially as I couldn't give it my full attention in the days ahead.

Tuesday, I managed nearly 2 skeins as I had to break off to make time for knitting group in the evening, on Wednesday I visited a friend in the morning but still managed to make time (and watch the stage) and by 8pm Thursday, I was here...

...All my prepped fleece spun, hopefully got the measure of aran weight (there's more to do so I will have enough for a sweater once the rest is prepped). I was really pleased at finishing a day early but a bit at a loss as to what to do next, but not for long....

...This was where I stopped Thursday night. It was nice to be spinning something colourful and still fleece stash busting as it's all my own handiwork again. Friday on the other hand got stupid busy...

...spinning...
....prepping....
....more spinning....
....and dyeing! Using the ashford dyes, the colours kept leeching no matter how many times you rinsed the fleece so I gave up , spun the water out of 'em and let 'em dry. I know they're flaky so I'll attack 'em again at the yarn stage. Still disappointed though, especially as I'd added extra citric acid to stop that. And the brown needed LOADS of dye to get a reasonable colour. still, makes a change from my usual blue, green purple combos!

Floppy doesn't mind how much spinning I do so long as he gets plenty of fuss!


Well, onwards, more spinning today wrist-strap free 'cos I've picked up a rash on my wrists for some reason but the wrists are improving slowly. I'm being very protective whilst working hard, giving them gentle excercise with a powerball in the evening before bed so there is definite improvement in the left one and slow going on the right. Off to get my Diet Coke fix before I head into the race once again, see you soon!

5 comments:

Sally said...

Chris, that is magnificent work! I'm not a spinner and am afraid if I begin yet another 'addiction', that will be the end of my quilting which is my first love. I already let quilting move to the back burner in favor of knitting. Love the work you are doing. Those dyed fibres are lovely. I'm looking for some orange yarn for socks and my eye went directly to the orange you dyed up. Just beautiful. Keep up your good work!

Ronni said...

Wow! That's a lot of work. I was vacationing when Tour de Fleece started. That's a good thing I have decided. I am already far enough behind on everything else I have going. Didn't need to make it worse. LOL

Go you! Yea! (And yes, do be careful with those wrists!)

CraftyCarole said...

I wish I was so productive.. what kind of drum carder is that? I'm starting to look around for one.. hand carding is really going slowly and I have so many fleeces to process

Romelda said...

SUrprise, it's me! How much fun that you are doing the TDFleece, I am one of the hostesses for TDFrance.
It is so much fun. I have Team Garmin-chipotle and the nicest team members. Stop in at http://tdfkal.blogspot.com/ and see what we are up to! The descriptions of the towns are fantastic. Glad to hear you are taking care of the wrists! Romelda

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! well done you! all that spinning and prepping and dying! Isn't it odd, as you were saying, I also knit with the speed of the cyclists.
Love your drum carder, must make life much easier!