Friday 2 May 2008

The 101 things you do in the week before a holiday

As promised, most of the yarny goodies from the Stitch Fair last Friday. From the left, there's a pack of undyed idigo cotton, a pack of Jaeger baby merino in purples and a pack of Jaeger Fur in brown as well as 2 balls of Panda Silk and the Austermann Step that I planned to knit the round 5 socks in. I also picked up a tote bag with numerous pockets and a couple of boxes to go in it, a pair of 60cm long wooden needles and 2 balls of Regia Landscapes. All in all, a good haul!



Well, Friday just about floored me healthwise so on Saturday about all I could do (apart from cooking the meals and a Chocolate Fudge pudding!) was to finish clue 6 of the Secret of the Stole ii.



I'd inadvertantly thought I'd completed it but then I found there was another page...never mind, it's a bit further along and 2/3rds completed. Hopefully it'll get a bit futher on holiday.

By Monday I could tell that the cold/flu wasn't getting any better despite the steroids. I could breathe, sure but I couldn't stop coughing and my chest rattled like a childs toy, not good. After a visit to the doctors I was given huge antibiotics that have helped in one way but boy, the side effects have been a pain in the bum! There's the taste in your mouth permanently 24/7, particularly bad at night, the pains in your stomach, the growling gnawing hunger that kicks in exactly an hour after eating, no matter how much you eat...joy. Ah well, at this point there's only 2 more days to go but the cough's back from all the running around so I'm in severe need of a rest.

Being out of the competition didn't stop me from knitting along so may I present the latest round of Sock Madness- Hippy Ripply Socks. That was Sunday knitting and Monday too as well as moments in between all week and now I'm finished....




After spending out more than I would like for stripey yarn, it occurred to me that there was absolutely no need...this yarn was in my UK Swap package from Forbidden Knitter, definitely a D'oh moment! Still, they look good...

In between knitting moments, I had to arrange everything for the dogs including Floppy's innoculations, dog food which entailed a very kindly out of sequence delivery from our neighbourhood pet shop; picking up and arranging personalisation of a present for my Grandad whose birthday happens to be while we're away; finishing a humungous pair of socks and passing them into the knitting shop for a client; washing, cooking, cleaning, arranging ironing...

The list goes on and on and on but now the dogs are duly despatched to their holiday homes and ironing collected so we're on the home straight, just the packing, project organising and perhaps some minor food shopping to do before d-day. The advantage of holidaying closer to home means that we have the morning for any last-minute preparations and can lunch at home before departing so it's not too frantic yet. I've even scoped out a new sandwich shop for tomorrows lunch, no washing-up afterwards!

There's a further sock to this week, the optional pattern that was posted yesterday...



I resisted the temptation to throw down the hippy socks in favour of casting on for these, finished the ribbing and the picot edging before beginning last night after the trip down the motorway to pass along some yarny goodness to Mel. The red wine tasted extra good after such a busy few days! It's lovely Socks that Rock clearance yarn that was bought and shipped for me by the fab Charity.



Well, here's the yarn I dyed on Sunday ready for Mystic Light. I will have to restrain myself from casting on before SOSii is finished but that doesn't stop me from bringing it on holiday, does it? I've had to fiddle with the colour a bit and it's still nothing as rich as it should be but you get the idea, lots of shades of red with a little orange/yellow. Should knit up nice and not obscure the pattern too much, I hope !

As round 6 starts on Friday next week and I need to find internet access to post (hopefully) finished pics of the latest socks by Thursday next week, so fingers crossed there's a local library I can use while I'm away. I will do my best to rest and relax too (but a little Stash enhancement may be on the cards...wish me luck!).

1 comment:

Sally said...

Oh, Chris! If anyone needs a holiday, it's you. That medical issue has probably taken the stuffing out of you and you deserve some rest and relax time. Enjoy! I love the round 5 socks you knit...lovely colours. And the optional round is shaping up to be quite colourful, too.