Sunday 11 January 2009

UK swap - Winter Warmers for your head

What is your favourite style of hat?
I sort of have two criteria, that which I'd love to knit and that which I'd actually use! The wind can bite pretty hard around here so it tends to go straight through most knitted hats. When I was considering knitting a hat for hubbie for xmas it was an EZ double thickness number relatively tightly knit. Not exactly fashionable but would most likely keep the weather at bay! I aspire to knitting tam style hats (berets) but am not at all sure they'd suit me. Possibly peaked newsboy caps would suit me better but as my head's smaller than average a lot of commercial hats swamp my short hair and make me look like a chemo victim!
I have a Canadian russian style hat (earflaps/ties) that I've had for too many years to mention and that generally keeps the cold and wet away.

Do you have a favourite yarn for making hats with?
Wool all the way. If it can be felted then it's even less likely to let the wind/wet through.
What hat patterns are in your queue at the moment?
Funnily enough, there's not many due to the first statement. In general terms, I like the pretty lacy hats, the cabled ones and aspire to knitting a fair isle tam but this is about the only one in my favourites. This one took my eye recently.

a) 'Cos for some reason I've never knitted entrelac yet and b) 'cos it's pretty!

Do you have a favourite handmade hat that you (or someone else) has made?
I've got Wooly Wormhead's e-book and lots of aspirations but not a lot else though I did get sent a lovely lacy hat in a swap a while back. I use it in the spring when the weather's a bit kinder and not wet.

No comments: