Sunday 1 June 2008

Sunday Stash Special

In between a double fleece washing session today, I finally got around to photographing the holiday stash...I must be feeling better! The reason for taking so long was that in my post-holiday energy, I'd actually ferreted it all away in heavy boxes placed up high and the idea of retrieving them without doing myself a mischief took a while to get my head around. Anyway, no worse the wear, here they are...
...First, from Grassington itself, a teensy shop crammed with more cross-stitch and embroidery kits than I've seen in many a year...and some pretty yarn too! This is Brigantia pure wool DK, I was just hooked on the colour and it's nice and soft too, there should be enough for a sweater somewhere along the lines, however it is knitted, I'm sure it'll make something special...
...From Wednesday's adventure (Coldspring Mill to be precise); more red and purple mix 4ply wool sock yarn. There's also the same amount of a blue mix but it was such a ratty skein, it annoyed me so I wound it up and can't remember where I stored it!
3 Hanks of a fab blue mix pure wool Aran...I can't wait to find the right pattern for this one, there's a kilo of yarn though so plenty for whatever I choose.....
...More of that lovely blue (much nicer in the flesh) Cash Iroha and that Ganpi Abaka that I told you about, still haven't a clue what to do with it as it feels quite rough but cheap Noro is still cheap Noro!...
...And the Freedom Wool unbanded packs, It so happens I already have a smaller pack of the purple so around 1 kilo in weight total, again plenty for a sweater. One day I will drown in sweaters!
And from the Skep...

2 x 500g hanks of a fab chunky wool some of which just had to be balled straight away...
...And all these colours of 4ply sock wool.

Remember my cryptic reference to cows?

I saw the Super cow in the window of a shop in Grassington on the day we arrived...I'd never seen cow parade figurines before and I'd have never said they'd be something of interest to me...but being fond of the old comic books, it sort of had a link for me. There was also a blue? cow with a big pop-art style speech bubble on its side; instead of "KAPOW" is said " PA-KOW!".

There was a sign in the window saying there were reductions on them but the Super Cow had a price tag of £50 so I mulled it over all holiday. On Friday after the walk I went in and asked about the price on the Super Cow, it was half price!!! So, as I'd considered spending it's full price, I picked up a couple more...the meditating cow (he'll go well with the buddhas) and a guard cow...dog references etc.

Since I've been home, I've looked them up on ebay a few times but as I have neother the room or the wish to clog up the house with yet more stuff that's not yarn and therefore has potential use, they'll only be bought on birthdays/christmas etc. to keep the numbers down. There's a Chocoholic cow that seriously speaks to me but is nowhere to be found , Alphadite, goddess of shopping ;-) a London Bus painted cow and a few others...I just love the humour and the fact that there's so many there'll always be something you can relate to!

Even though the weather was lousy, we went out for a wee trundle this afternoon to Brimstage; the Country Mouse for a fabled scone (plain) with jam and cream and Meringue with cream and Butterscotch sauce for him, followed by a mooch around Voirrey and picking up reduced books (Jaeger Fur and Rowan Classic Alpaca); a few reduced patterns and Noro Designer Mini Knits, a pleasant hour or so for all.

There is knitting on the horizon but you'll have to wait 'till next time for that one!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Chris, I've just tagged you! Go to my blog to find out what it's all about. Love your blog! Keep it up!